Thursday, April 12, 2012

Update: Tree Comparison on Hold, But Red-Black Tutorial Soon


Okay, I know that I promised a blog comparing AVL trees to red-black trees in a previous blog.  That blog was deleted since it may be a while.  I was planning on deleting it anyways if there were no comments since all of the information in it would be present and elaborated upon in the new blog about the comparisons.

The truth is that I have no clue how to get deletion to work with red-black trees.  Wikipedia's algorithm for insertion works marvelously, but its deletion algorithm doesn't work for me.  I also can't adapt any other code to work for me.  I'm sure it's something to do with my weird binary search tree base class since I'm certain five other sources I tried to copy from must not all be wrong.  And the fact that I do not understand red-black trees yet makes the probability of that even higher.

What I am going to do is put off the comparison blog and first focus on understanding red-black trees.  When I have a good grasp of them, I will post a tutorial explaining not only how to implement them but also on why the implementation works.  But it might be a while.

It is nearing the end of the semester, and I need to study for Calculus IV more often.  I'm at the peak of what my brain can understand of integrals in multi-dimensional space.  Plus, I have to keep my English Composition II Grades up so I don't have to take it again.  Who knew writing essays on stuff you know nothing about could be so hard!  Finally, there's Data Structures and French.  Since I slept through a major DS exam, I have to make a 97 on the final exam to pass with a B, but that will be fairly simple since hash tables and graphs are the only two topics I need brushing up on.  French?  J'ai un A!  C'est très facile pour moi, mais je doit étudier parce que je ne sais pas le module cinq dans notre livre, et il y a un examen [next week].  I'm still rusty.

The point is that I will give programming geeks some very juicy reading material, but it may have to wait until after the semester ends (or at least not today).  Be expecting a tutorial on red-black trees followed soon afterwards by that comparison of AVL trees to red-black trees that I promised!

No comments:

Post a Comment